Press release kick-off meeting in Nestorio
Nestorio, 12 October 2018
On 8th and 9th October 2018, the kick-off meeting of the partners of the GREENPOINT-MOB project was successfully held in Nestorio within the framework of the European Program INTERREG – IPA CBC GREECE-ALBANIA 2014-2020, in which the Municipality of Nestorio participates as a partner.
In the specific project, financed by INTERREG – IPA CBC GREECE – ALBANIA 2014-2020, particate 6 project partners:
- DIADYMA S.A., Greece (Lead Partner)
- Municipality of Prespes, Greece
- Municipality of Nestorio, Greece
- Municipality of Kolonjë, Albania
- Balkan Center for Cooperation and Development (BCCD), Albania
- Municipality of Gjirokaster, Albania
The total budget of the project amounts to € 670,673.98, while the amount corresponding to the actions of the Municipality of Nestorio amounts to € 102,000.00 and it has duration of two years.
The GREENPOINT-MOB project concerns the prevention and recycling of waste and the development of a mobile green point for the cross-border area between Greece and Albania.
The main objective of the project is to improve the management of recyclable waste (paper, plastic, glass, aluminum, batteries, used oils, electrical and electronic equipment, bulky waste, used clothing and lamps) in remote areas.
The project aims, among other things:
- to meet the need to improve recycling in isolated and remote areas by offering suitable solutions for all waste streams through GREEN POINT MOB,
- raising citizens’ awareness of recycling practices and appropriate separation of waste at source,
- developing appropriate training and information sessions for the aimed target groups in the remote areas of the project, ie schools, public authorities and private companies,
- exchanging, among partners, know-how and good practices related to improving the management of recyclable waste,
- the supply of suitable recycling bins and vehicles for their transport to mountainous and remote areas,
- carrying out a needs assessment study to identify the current state of the recycling process and the level of waste management. Based on the findings, specific Local Recycling Plans (LRPs) will be developed with specific actions in each participating Municipality to transfer the know-how of the recycling process.
In this context, the GREEN POINT MOB project also includes local awareness campaigns, organizing events and conducting training seminars on good practices for waste management and home recycling.
The primary objective of the project is to improve waste management in remote areas by increasing recycling of waste by 50%. In areas where there is no recycling at the moment, the target is set at 10% of waste recycling.
The added value of GREEN POINT MOB is the effort to achieve a change in people’s attitude towards more responsible waste management, following good practices and recycling methods in remote areas.