Recyclable waste streams through Greenpoint-MOB
In Europe many of the items used in the home can be recycled. The benefits of recycling include a cleaner environment, the safe disposal of hazardous materials, greater awareness of excess packaging and a careful approach to the use and re-use of materials.
There are several ways of arranging to recycle waste. You can take it to a recycling facility or use a kerbside collection (if available). For organic waste, you may choose to compost it yourself – see ‘Composting’ below or use a kerbside collection. Many recycling facilities accept bulky organic waste as well.
Click here for more information about recycling domestic waste generally in Europe.
A wide range of items can be accepted at recycling facilities. As concerning our project “Greenpoint-MOB” the main purpose is to develop a mobile Green Point at the cross-border region in order to promote prevention and recycling. Thus the citizens of Municipality of Nestorio and Municipality of Prespes can use it from now on. The GREENPOINT-MOB is a mobile container consisting of smaller waste containers for all different waste streams (plastic, paper, aluminum, glass, electronic appliances and organic waste). The reason for this idea is the need to cover the recycling in distance and remote areas but also to reinforce the local citizens to start waste recycling through waste collection-at-home.
What to bring at the Greenpoint-MOB
- Plastic items (bottles, pots, bags, plastic packages)
- Aluminum & metals (soft drinks, beer cans, metal food tins, foil)
- Glass bottles & jars – recycle lids/caps separately
- Paper (newspapers, magazines, telephone books, office paper, junk mail, comics and light cardboard)
- Lamps from household
- Batteries household type
- Small electrical appliances
- Cooking oils (inside a plastic bottle)
- Textiles (clean clothes, bed linen, towels, coats and jackets)
- Hazardous waste (aerosols, bulbs and fluorescent tubes, polishes, adhesives, household cleaners, drain cleaners, solvents, weedkillers and fertilisers)
Keep in mind that all materials should be clean, to avoid contamination – wash out bottles, cans, yogurt pots etc. before recycling.
Items cannot be accepted for recycling
- Crystal glass, Pyrex, television tubes, opal glass, (that is, alcohol bottles where a large amount of foil is glued to the bottle) and car windscreens
- Porcelain, pottery, stones and ceramic tiles
- Carpets and rugs, cushions or mattresses
- Laminated or waxed papers like paper cups
Photos of Greenpoint-MOB:
The views expressed in this publication do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union, the participating countries and the Managing Authority.